14th Street Busway Given Green Light By Judge, Again

Erica Brosnan
September 27, 2019 - 6:22 pm

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — The stalled 14th Street busway, once again, was given the green light on Friday.

An appeals court judge overturned a challenge to the busway, which was originally scheduled to open July 1 as a way to ease the burden on commuters during a partial shutdown of the L train.

The plan will ban all vehicles on 14th Street between Third and Ninth avenues in an effort to speed up certain bus routes being used to accommodate for the train repairs.

The busway was previously slated to open Monday, Aug. 12, but was blocked when a group of residents living in the surrounding area sued the city, claiming no environmental review was done on how the neighborhood would be affected by banning most car traffic on 14th Street.

Attorney Arthur Schwartz has been leading a coalition which challenged the busway. He says he will continue with his case and once again try to block the plan from moving forward.

In a statement, Department of Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg said she was “grateful” for the judge’s decision on Friday.

“With over 27,000 trips taken on the M14 Select Bus Service each day, the new busway will help create more reliable commutes with shorter travel times,” said Trottenberg’s statement. “DOT and New York City Transit will continue to work with the NYPD, elected officials, local merchants, neighborhood residents, drivers and bus riders along 14th Street to monitor and evaluate the new service and make adjustments as needed.”

If no further legal action is taken, the busway will open on Thursday, Oct. 3.