Thailand ambulance AP

AP Photo/Vincent Thian

4 More Boys Brought Out Of Flooded Thailand Cave

July 09, 2018 - 8:18 am

MAE SAI, Thailand (WCBS 880/AP) — Four more of the youth soccer players trapped for over two weeks in a flooded cave in northern Thailand were brought out on Monday, an official said, bringing to eight the number extracted in the ongoing high-stakes rescue operation.

"The eighth person is out and the operation is done for today," Sitthichai Klangpattana, flag officer to Thailand's navy SEAL commander, told The Associated Press. "Four boys were brought out today."

He didn't comment on the health of the boys or how well the operation had gone. After Monday's rescue effort, four boys and their coach were still inside the labyrinth cave.

On Sunday, when the high-risk rescue operation to rescue the 12 boys and their coach began, teams of divers brought out four of the boys but waited several hours before confirming their safe rescue.

The Facebook page of the Thai Navy SEALs, who have been central to the rescue operation, was updated Monday night to say "two days, eight boars" — a reference to the Wild Boars, the name of the boys' soccer team. The message, like most posted by the SEALs, ended with the fighting cheer adopted from the U.S. Navy: Hooyah.

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said earlier Monday that the second phase began at 11 a.m. and authorities "hope to hear good news in the next few hours."

"All conditions are still as good as they were yesterday," Narongsak told a news conference. "The boys' strength, the plan — today we are ready like before. And we will do it faster because we are afraid of the rain."

Authorities have been rushing to extract the boys, ages 11-16, and their coach from the cave as the annual monsoon bears down on the mountainous region in far northern Chiang Rai province. Workers have been laboring around the clock to pump water out of the cave, and authorities said Monday that heavy downpours overnight did not raise water levels inside.

The four boys guided from the cave Sunday in an urgent and dangerous operation that involved them diving through the cave's dark, tight and twisting passages were happy and in good health, authorities said.

"This morning they said they were hungry and wanted to eat khao pad grapao," Narongsak said, referring to a Thai dish of meat fried with chili and basil and served over rice.

Still, the four were undergoing medical checks in a hospital in the provincial capital and were not yet allowed close contact with relatives due to fear of infections. Relatives were able to see them through a glass partition, the governor said.

The boys and their coach went exploring in the massive Tham Luang Nang Non cave on June 23 after a soccer practice, and were cut off when a rainstorm flooded the cave. A massive international search operation was launched and it took 10 days to locate the boys, who had taken shelter on a dry slope deep in the complex.

The search and rescue operation has riveted people both in Thailand and internationally, with journalists from across the globe traveling to this town along the border with Myanmar to report on the ordeal.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda had said early Monday that the same group of expert divers who took part in Sunday's rescue would return to extricate the others because they know the cave conditions and what to do. He had said fresh air tanks needed to be laid along the underwater route.

Authorities have said extracting the entire team from the cave could take up to four days, but Sunday's success raised hopes that it could be done faster.

Sunday's mission involved 13 foreign divers and five Thai navy SEALs. Two divers accompanied each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since July 2, when searchers found them.

Cave rescue experts have said they consider an underwater escape to be a last resort, especially with people untrained in diving.

The death Friday of a former Thai navy SEAL underscored the risks. The diver, the first fatality of the rescue effort, was working in a volunteer capacity and died on a mission to place air canisters along the passage to where the boys are, necessary for divers to safely travel the five- to six-hour route.

There were several concerns that prompted authorities to move forward with the plan to dive the boys out. One was that it was unknown how safe and dry the area where they had taken shelter would stay as Thailand's rainy season, which lasts until at least late October, picks up pace.

The other, and perhaps more worrying, was that oxygen levels in the complex were falling close to dangerous levels.

Meanwhile, Dr. Robert Glatter, emergency physician at Northwell Health Lenox Hill Hospital, told WCBS 880’s Steve Scott and Michael Wallace Monday that there are some concerns about the health of the boys who were rescued – though they have all come through OK so far.

“You know, in a cave itself, the conditions are damp. They’re wet. They’re cool – typically in the 50s. And the issue is, you know, keeping the kids warm; getting them out of, you know, any damp clothes; keeping them covered. You’ve seen, probably, pictures of foil, and this is an insulating wrap that, you know, is useful, especially in that situation,” he said.

The effects of the low oxygen levels in the cave are also a potential concern.

“You know, typically, air has about 21 percent oxygen, give or take about 78 percent nitrogen. Carbon dioxide is very low – like .2 percent. But in the cave itself, the concern right now is the oxygen levels are dropping to about 15 percent, which can make it difficult to breathe. You get a little confused; may not be acting properly. And as well as that, carbon dioxide levels can rise significantly. It’s actually the carbon dioxide levels that can be lethal before the oxygen levels become even an issue,” he said. “So all these factors are playing into, you know, the rescue.”

But the boys who have been rescued are doing great, Glatter said.

“They’re back. They’re eating. The early reports we have are that they’re doing phenomenal,” he said. “It’s a testament to their resiliency, plus to their youth. Let’s face it – they’re 11 to 16 years old. They’re in tip-top shape. They’re working out. Mentally, they’re probably prepared for this more than at any point in their lives.”

The boys who have been rescued have been quarantined, as there is a concern about infectious diseases.

“Well, you know, the infectious disease issues are certainly there. Two of the main ones are histoplasmosis, which can occur in caves. It’s basically a spore-like illness that can cause a cough; a fever, but generally, if you have a good immune system – and these kids do – you wouldn’t even have any significant symptoms. The other issue is leptospirosis. And in theory, this could incubate up to three weeks, so just keeping them there a few days isn’t going to rule it out, but I think they want to make sure they don’t have fever. Their core temperatures certainly are not low, and you would expect more than anything at that point to have hypothermia,” he said. “But, you know, they could get sick.”

Also of concern is diarrhea that the boys might have contracted in the cave.

“If they drank any water in the early stages of this ordeal that was infected with any kind of rat droppings or droppings from bats – which we know live in caves – they could get sick, and certain kinds of bacterial illnesses like shigella, salmonella; there also is cryptosporidium and other protozoal causes of diarrhea,” Glatter said. “So we have to be thinking about all these things.”

The doctors are also concerned about the boys’ mental health, Glatter said.

“They have to make sure they’re not having nightmares; flashbacks, you know, they’re not hallucinating – because when you have sensory deprivation like this over a period of two weeks, the brain starts to act in a way to stimulate itself. You may see things that aren’t there; you may hear things, and so all these factors are coming into play,” he said.

But he said at the end of the day, the boys have “come out on top.”

“They look to be in good condition, and the doctors just really want to keep an eye on them,” Glatter said.