California School Shooting: 16-Year-Old Gunman Dies From Wounds

Associated Press
November 15, 2019 - 7:56 pm
Southern California Shooting

Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY, USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Categories: 

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (WCBS 880/AP) — A 16-year-old boy who shot five fellow students – killing two – before turning the gun on himself at a Southern California high school has died.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department says Nathaniel Tennosuke Berhow died at about 3:30 p.m. Friday at a hospital with his mother present.

Listen For Live Coverage | Sign Up For Breaking Newsletters 

Authorities say Berhow pulled a gun from his backpack Thursday at Saugus High School in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Clarita, shot five students at random and then shot himself in the head. It was his 16th birthday.

The shooting, captured on security video, took 16 seconds and killed 15-year-old Gracie Muehlberger and 14-year-old Dominic Blackwell.

Two girls remain hospitalized but are expected to be released this weekend.

News of the shooter's death came on the same day that investigators told reporters that they were unable to find out why he brought a gun to campus and opened fire.

After more than 40 interviews and evaluation of evidence, no motive had been established, said Capt. Kent Wegener, of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s homicide unit. He said no manifesto, diary or suicide note had been found.

“It still remains a mystery why,” Sheriff Alex Villanueva told a press conference.

The sheriff said the conclusion that the attack was planned was based on the shooter bringing the weapon, handling it with enough expertise and counting the rounds fired.

“It wasn’t a spur-of-the-moment act,” Villanueva said.

The origin of the gun was being investigated.

Stay informed, stay connected — follow WCBS 880 on Facebook and TwitterDownload the RADIO.COM app + favorite WCBS 880 for breaking news, traffic and weather alerts.