Gov. Andrew Cuomo

Mike Groll- Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

NY Abandons Long Island Sound Tunnel Plan

June 29, 2018 - 9:07 am
Categories: 

ALBANY, N.Y. (WCBS 880/AP) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration has dropped a proposal to build a tunnel under Long Island Sound.


 
State Department of Transportation Commissioner Paul Karas said Thursday they decided not to move forward with the plan to build a tunnel connecting Westchester and Long Island shores or linking New York to Connecticut.
 
Karas did not reveal further details as to why they are abandoning the plan.


 
A study previously estimated the tunnel could cost up to $55 billion.

Cuomo had long been a supporter of the plan.

"DOT has determined it's feasible. It would be underwater, it would be invisible, it would reduce traffic on the imposisbly congested Long Island Expressway, and it would offer potential significant private investment," Cuomo said during his State of the State address in January.
 
The project had received pushback from residents and officials in Long Island and Westchester over concerns with how it could impact traffic.
 
Westchester County Executive George Latimer tells the Journal News the state's decision was "good news.''

"It's an impressive thing to say, 'We did something that nobody else did and we built this,' but there has to be an economic logic to it, and there has to be a way to finance it, and there has to be a way to handle the traffic and the disruption and all of those things go into the DOT study of the tunnel," Latimer told WCBS 880's Mack Rosenberg. 

The idea of either a tunnel or bridge connecting Long Island to Westchester or Connecticut is one that has been debated for 80 years.

(© 2018 WCBS 880. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)