Mets' DeGrom On Extension: 'I Look Forward To Being Here A Long Time'

March 27, 2019 - 4:28 pm
Categories: 

ARLINGTON, Va. (WCBS 880) – The Mets have locked up their ace Jacob deGrom, who spoke to the media for the first time Wednesday.

DeGrom was the best pitcher in baseball last year and GM Brodie Van Wagenen was committed to getting the agreement done.

Related: Mets’ Cy Young Award-Winner Jacob DeGrom Signs Extension

“You build business plans off guys like Jacob deGrom,” he said.

DeGrom started his career in the Mets organization and this is where he wanted to stay.

“The fans have been great to me. I look forward to being here for a long time. Hopefully a life-long Met – and bringing a championship to New York,” he said.

The lanky right-hander was all smiles now that this was finally put to bed. He signed five-year contract extension worth $137 million

“It’s a relief and I’m looking forward to getting the season started,” he said.

Mets owner Jeff Wilpon hopes it sends a message to skeptical fans.

“I think it shows that we have the best pitcher in baseball and that we locked him up for long-term to help win now and in the future,” Wilpon said.