9 Hurt, Chinatown 'In Shock' After Fire At Chinese Cultural Hub

WCBS 880 Newsroom
January 24, 2020 - 7:06 am
Chinatown fire



NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – A man was critically injured and eight firefighters were also hurt when a fire erupted at a Chinatown building housing nonprofits, a community center and archives of the Museum of Chinese in America.

The fire erupted around 8:45 p.m. Thursday, beginning on the fourth floor of the five-story building before spreading to the roof.

The man who was in critical condition had to be rescued from an upper floor by firefighters. The eight firefighters reportedly suffered smoke inhalation.

Videos and photos from social media show flames shooting from the building and smoke rising above lower Manhattan.

The fire broke out just a day before the Lunar New Year, and Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted that the building is home to a number of nonprofits and a senior center. There are also reports that it holds archives important to the Museum of Chinese in America, and local leaders fear artifacts and documents may have been lost.

“I know the neighborhood is in shock tonight. We’re going to help the community get through this,” de Blasio wrote on Twitter.