Carbon monoxide Brooklyn

WCBS 880

Man Dead, 4 Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Fills Brooklyn Home

August 03, 2019 - 11:14 am
Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Carbon monoxide poisoning killed one man and left four other people hospitalized in Brooklyn Saturday morning, authorities said.

The FDNY was called to an abandoned building on Jackson Street in East Williamsburg around 6 a.m.

Inside, firefighters found five squatters suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. One of them, an unidentified man found lying in a hallway, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The four other people—two men and two women—were taken to Cornell Medical Center, where they were listed in stable condition, police said.

The people appeared to be squatters and the FDNY believes a generator may be to blame for the high levels of carbon monoxide.

“There was a generator inside the building,” Deputy Chief Fred Schaaf said. “The generator was not running when we got here. However, if it was running previously, we don’t know. That’s going to be on our investigation by police.”

Schaaf said the carbon monoxide levels inside the building were high enough to kill.

A medical examiner will determine what killed the man.

Neighbors told WCBS 880’s Steve Burns that it’s been about a decade since anyone lived at the home. The building has peeling paint, piles of garbage and a “for sale” sign nailed next to a broken window.

Sharon Carols lives down the block. She said the people inside weren't bothering anyone but she wondered what was happening there.

“Definitely became a little worried that there were some people that we didn’t know. They didn’t seem like bad people, but just worried a little bit about what was going on there, you know?” she said.

The FDNY says nearby buildings were briefly evacuated as a precaution.