Long Island Carbon Monoxide incident

Sophia Hall/WCBS 880

LI Man Dead, Wife Hospitalized In Apparent Carbon Monoxide Incident

February 21, 2019 - 12:01 pm
Categories: 

MELVILLE, N.Y. (WCBS 880) -- A 55-year-old man has died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning on Long Island, authorities said.

Fire officials and police officers detected high levels of carbon monoxide when they arrived at the house on Scott Drive in Melville around 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

The homeowner, Stephen Yancofski, was found unconscious. He was pronounced dead a short time later. 

His 59-year-old wife, Kyriaki Bouziotas, was very sick and is currently in the hospital getting treatment, WCBS 880's Sophia Hall reported.

Bouziotas called her 39-year-old daughter Thursday morning when she was ill and Yancofski was unconscious but breathing.

The daughter called 911, who urged her to try to get Yancofski and Bouziotas out of the house, but she was unable to in their weakened condition.

Officials said there was a problem with the heating system and there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the house.