11 Hospitalized After High Carbon Monoxide Levels Found In Bronx Building

Kimberly Dole
February 18, 2020 - 8:40 am
FDNY

Anthony Behar/Sipa Press

Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) -- There were 11 people, including four firefighters, hospitalized due to high levels of carbon monoxide in a Bronx building, FDNY says.

Officials say the incident occurred just before 5:30 p.m. Monday at a building on Decatur Avenue.

According to initial readings, carbon monoxide levels were reportedly about 500 ppm, the FDNY said. Levels over 101 ppm are considered dangerous.

The incident started with a leak in the chimney stack, Con Ed said.

There were working carbon monoxide detectors in the building, officials say.

Firefighters evacuated residents from the building, shut down the boiler and ventilated the building.

Seven residents and four firefighters were taken to Jacobi Medical Center. They are all expected to survive.