6-Week-Old Dead of Coronavirus In Connecticut

WCBS 880 Newsroom
April 01, 2020 - 4:34 pm

Sign up for WCBS 880's daily newsletter for the latest updates on the coronavirus pandemic.

HARTFORD, Conn. (WCBS 880) — An infant has died of COVID-19 in Connecticut — the state's first pediatric death from the coronavirus.

Gov. Ned Lamont said the 6-week-old from the Hartford area was taken to the hospital unresponsive late last week and could not be revived.

"This is absolutely heartbreaking," Lamont said. "We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19."

Lamont says it's a reminder that no one is safe from this virus.

"This is a virus that attacks our most fragile without mercy," Lamont said. "This also stresses the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to other people. Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it. Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time."

The infant is among 16 additional deaths for a total of 85 in the state.

The news comes as Connecticut Children's Medical Center has furloughed 400 workers due to the coronavirus outbreak. Officials with the Hartford-based health care system say the outbreak has caused elective and other surgeries to be delayed and a decline in the number of patients. The Hartford Courant reports the furloughs are for 60 days and affect about 14% of the health system's workforce. Officials say the decline in the number of patients is costing the health system up to $9 million a month.

Lamont has ordered grocery stores to limit capacity to 50 percent.

"We stipulate very carefully that no more than one family member should go in there to do the shopping, we're trying to get the lines so you know what is six feet back when you're in the cashiers line, we're asking people don't use cash, use credit card, and more importantly if you can get things home delivered especially seniors we don't want you to go out at all," Lamont said.

Connecticut has more than 3,500 coronavirus cases, up 429 over the past 24 hours.

The state has opened a field hospital at Southern Connecticut State University. It's a 200-bed facility and will be used to treat coronavirus patients who no longer need acute hospital care.

In other developments, two Connecticut National Guardsmen have tested positive for COVID-19, and judicial officials have closed the Stamford courthouse.

The state budget is taking a hit: withholding taxes is down, the deficit is swelling. Twenty philanthropists have pledged $10 million to help  non-profit agencies through this difficult time.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Stay informed, stay connected — follow WCBS 880 on Facebook and TwitterDownload the RADIO.COM app + favorite WCBS 880 for breaking news, traffic and weather alerts.