Gov. Cuomo Vows Not To Cancel Trick-Or-Treating On Halloween

Erica Brosnan
September 15, 2020 - 2:22 pm

    Sign up for WCBS 880's daily newsletter for the latest updates on the coronavirus pandemic.

    NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Halloween won’t be canceled this year in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo reassured residents on Tuesday.

    “I would not ban trick-or-treaters going door to door,” the governor told News12 Long Island.

    He said he will not stop people from knocking on their neighbors' doors, saying he does not think it’s “appropriate” to tell families they cannot partake in festivities. 

    “If you want to go for a walk with your child through the neighborhood, I’m not going to tell you, ‘You can’t take your child through the neighborhood,’ I’m not going to do that,” he told the news station.

    The governor did say he would issue some advice and guidance, but ultimately, parents would be left to make the final decision on trick-or-treating.

    News12 posed the question to Cuomo after Los Angeles, California officials canceled traditional trick-or-treating activities and Halloween parties last week, citing concerns about the virus. 

    Though, after people complained, officials walked back on the decision and instead made a recommendation that people stay at home.

    New York’s coronavirus infection rate has remained under 1% for the last month, according to the Department of Health.

    RELATED: Actor Paul Rudd Joins Gov. Cuomo PSA To Urge Mask Use

    However, with schools returning for in-person classes and more industries beginning to reopen, state officials says they will be watching the numbers.

    Mayor Bill de Blasio has said if cases spike over 2%, he wants to potentially begin shutting down some industries again – including indoor dining, which is set to begin at the end of September.

    Stay informed, stay connected — follow WCBS 880 on Facebook and TwitterDownload the RADIO.COM app + favorite WCBS 880 for breaking news, traffic and weather alerts.