Manslaughter Charges Filed In Deadly Brooklyn Wall Collapse

Rich Lamb
November 21, 2019 - 2:30 pm
Brooklyn Construction Site Collapse

Mike Smeltz/WCBS 880

Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — The Brooklyn district attorney has announced an indictment stemming from last year's deadly wall collapse in Sunset Park.

Construction worker Luis Almonte Sanchez, 47, was killed when he was struck by debris weighing between 15,000 and 45,000 pounds after a wall collapsed at an excavation site on 39th Street last September.

The operator of the construction company, 46-year-old Jimmy Liu, two other men and two businesses have been indicted on manslaughter charges. 

Among those charged is Wilson Garcia, a former Department of Buildings inspector fired for allegedly being bribed by Liu, who acted as a foreman at the site, WCBS 880's Rich Lamb reported.

"They ignored repeated warnings from their workers and from neighbors who lived adjacent to that property, the imminent danger of a potential collapse," Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said. "Jimmy Liu and Wilson Garcia were specifically told by their workers that there were problems at the site, that the workers felt endangered, that the wall had been moving forward."

Prosecutors allege thatdespite repeated warnings of dangerous conditions from workers and neighbors, Liu refused to stop work at the site.

Gonzalez says that conduct resulted in Sanchez's death.

"A 47-year-old man, who was working to support his family, he was tragically crushed to death and buried under tens of thousands of pounds of debris," Gonzalez said.

Three others have been indicted on lesser related charges.

The six defendants in the case face various possible maximum sentences of four years to 15 years in prison.