NYPD Officers Attacked As Violence, Looting Erupts In The Bronx

Sean Adams
June 02, 2020 - 8:05 am

    NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — NYPD officers were attacked and injured in separate incidents during a chaotic night in the Bronx.

    A hit-and-run driver mowed down and seriously injured an NYPD sergeant as he was reportedly investigating reports of break-ins on Walton Avenue around 12:45 a.m. Tuesday.

    Disturbing video shows a dark sedan speed up and plow straight into the sergeant, launching him in the air and into another vehicle, and kept on driving, fleeing the scene.

    Several people, believed to be officers, rushed to the sergeant's aid as he laid motionless in the middle of the intersection. He was brought to his feet and walked over to a police van, which rushed him to the hospital.

    The city's Police Benevolent Association tweeted that it is praying for the sergeant "and all of our brothers and sisters who have been run down, knocked down or almost shot down during this chaos. It has to stop. NOW."

    Another video showed at least three suspected looters hold down and beat a police officer on East Fordham Road. The suspects are seen running off after the officer appears to draw his gun.

    This came on a fifth day of protests in New York City over George Floyd's death. Despite a curfew and increased police presence, widespread looting, destruction and violence erupted all across the city as night fell.

    Mayor Bill de Blasio visited the Bronx early Tuesday morning and said there were "real problems" on Fordham Road and Burnside Avenue.

    "Spoke with Councilman Fernando Cabrera about immediate steps to address the situation. Also spoke to Commissioner Shea + Chief Pichardo, who are sending additional help," the mayor tweeted around 1 a.m.

    Speaking to the violence in the Bronx during a news conference Tuesday morning, de Blasio said what he saw was unacceptable.

    "The people of the Bronx will not accept it when the criminal few try to tear down the progres sthat people fought for for years and decades," de Blasio said. "We saw vicious attacks on police officers, that is wholly unacceptable, that does not represent the people of this city. Anyone who attacks a police officer attacks all of us."

    Looting was widespread along Fordham Road in the Bronx, where fires were also seen burning.

    The destruction overnight left a trail of broken storefronts and littered streets.

    People in the neighborhood are angry and upset.

    "This is crazy, this situation is outrageous," one resident said. "This is not going to solve the problem."

    "I was for demonstrating and letting people know how we feel, but not to destroy," another resident said.

    WCBS 880's Sean Adams reported sporadic looting continued even after the curfew was lifted at 5 a.m.

    Police were seen racing off to a cellphone store where a witness said he saw an organized group pry open the metal security gate.

    "They come, they see the gate and see it's easy to get in. They made a phone call and maybe 21 guys came and they were all driving. They said grab whatever you could, jump in the car and I guess hit the next spot," the witness told Adams.

    De Blasio announced Tuesday morning that the curfew will remain in place through Sunday, running from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.

    Stay informed, stay connected — follow WCBS 880 on Facebook and TwitterDownload the RADIO.COM app + favorite WCBS 880 for breaking news, traffic and weather alerts.