Staten Island Gang Fight

Steve Burns/WCBS 880

Violent Afternoon Leaves At Least 1 Dead, Multiple Injured On Staten Island

July 10, 2018 - 7:27 pm

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) -- It was a violent afternoon on Staten Island Tuesday, with two shootings that happened within an hour of each other – all within a half-mile area.

The first chain of events began just before outside the court complex not far from the Staten Island Ferry terminal in St. George.

A court representative told CBS2 the gunfire rang out after a confrontation outside a nearby courthouse.

Police told CBS2 a gunman shot at a minivan with members of a rival faction inside, and the van struck and killed the gunman before crashing into a home at Montgomery Avenue and Fort Place.

Officers chased the gunman, but took cover once he started shooting at the van, CBS2 reported.

Residents Jacqueline Haye and Augie Engel spoke with CBS2. They said they were sitting on their front porch on Fort Place at the time of the crash.

“I looked and you see the truck inside the house,” Engel told CBS2. “The whole nose was inside the house.”

Haye and Engel said they first heard a loud crash, and then the sound of police officers screaming orders.

Police sources said five people were taken into custody at the scene.

Meanwhile about half a mile away half an hour later, police said a 67-year-old woman was shot in the face and severely wounded while waiting at a bus stop. The woman -- identified by her niece as Frances Williams, was taken to an area hospital in critical condition, and police said no one was in custody in that incident.

The woman’s niece, Priscilla Lewis, told CBS2 how she found out her aunt had been shot.

“She was just going to work. I don’t know what happened. Because of something going on at the courthouse, I knew, I seen the helicopters, but I didn’t think that was going on up here until I seen all the police and stuff, and then my cousin seen it on a Facebook thing in Delaware,” she said. “That’s how we found out it was her.”

A police representative said Tuesday afternoon that there was no reason to believe the fight and crash and the shooting were linked, but a lot of investigation had yet to be completed in both incidents.