‘Insanity’ On NJ Transit ‘Horror Train’ After Breakdown

October 30, 2018 - 9:05 am

NEWARK (WCBS 880) -- Commuters leaving the city Monday night were stuck on a NJ Transit train for nearly two hours after it broke down amid a mechanical failure.

Fights reportedly broke out on the train as passengers stewed in the broken-down train following the power outage just east of Newark's Broad Street station around 6:30 p.m.

Some passengers said there was no air on the packed train, with one rider tweeting: “it is crowded, uncomfortably hot, and we don’t know when we’ll get home.”

New: Century-Old Bridge Wreaks Havoc For Thousands Of NJ Transit Commuters

“October on #njtransit has been hell,” the rider went on to say.

The train left Penn Station shortly after 6 p.m. and was headed for Montclair when it lost power and stalled, passengers and officials said.

"The 5:31 had been cancelled, so it was double, it was standing room only," said rider Christine James.

One hour into the ordeal, Sarah Hansen tweeted: “Stuck on a bridge outside Newark on @NJTRANSIT with no air. Two sick passengers. Fights.”

Tempers flared and frustrations simmered.

"People were screaming at the conductors, no one was cursing anyone out but it was pretty intense," one rider told WCBS 880's Sean Adams.

Although NJ Transit initially said the delay would last 45 minutes, it ended up stretching past an hour. There were reports of “steamed windows” and of passengers passing out.

Listen Live To WCBS 880 | Get Breaking News Email Alerts

"At one point the engineer was trying to get from one end of the train to the other just to go through two different engines, one diesel, one not. They tried to keep us informed, but the train was so crowded they couldn't get from one end to the other," James said. "We were fortunate we were in one of the cars that still had light but some of them didn't and did certainly get quite warm. Fortunately most of the passengers stayed calm but we did hear that there was a few that suffered and a few that were getting pretty irate."

When police finally arrived, “people jumped off and started running for the platform. Insanity,” Hansen tweeted.

A rescue train eventually shuttled the passengers back to the Broad Street station, an NJ Transit spokesman told NorthJersey.com.

There were no reports of arrests and nobody required medical attention, according to CBS News.