NYPD Officer Released After Being Shot In Brooklyn


NYPD Detective Out Of Hospital After Being Shot In Bedford-Stuyvesant

July 06, 2018 - 11:46 am

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) -- An NYPD detective was released from the hospital Friday afternoon, hours after he was shot while executing a search warrant in Brooklyn.

The incident happened near the corner of Decatur Street between Tompkins and Throop avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant around 6:30 a.m. Friday.


Police Commissioner James O'Neill said the Brooklyn North Warrants Squad detective was with two partners in an unmarked car when they spotted a man walking on the sidewalk who was wanted for a domestic violence robbery involving a gun last month.

"The police identified themselves and told the man to show them his hands. The suspect then displayed a gun and shot at the officers," O'Neill said.

Brooklyn Cop Shot Recovered Gun

The suspect fired six shots at the officers, striking the detective in the leg, WCBS 880's Marla Diamond reported.

Officers returned fire, hitting the suspect once in the arm. He left a trail of blood as he fled on Throop Avenue onto Fulton Street before turning on Kingston Avenue, where he was apprehended in the hallway of a building, O'Neill said.

A gun was recovered in a garbage can at the scene.

NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan tweeted a video showing the officer being released.

"Thankfully his injury is not life threatening & he was able to go home today. Wishing him a speedy recovery," Monahan said in the tweet. "I’m grateful every day for those in blue, who go in harm’s way to protect NYC."

The suspect has been identified as 33-year-old Kelvin Stichel, who has numerous prior arrests. He is being treated at Brookdale Hospital and charges are pending.

The detective, a 7-year veteran of the department, was shot through the thigh and is expected to make a full recovery. He is listed in stable condition at Kings County Hospital.

"He's a big guy, he's about 6-2, about 230 and he's more concerned about his two partners than he was about himself," O'Neill said.

"We are extremely lucky today," said Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association. "A millimeter either way with a .45 automatic could have easily blown out his femoral artery and we could have been in much worse condition than we are right now."

"This morning’s incident highlights the extremely dangerous work the men and women of the NYPD perform on a daily basis on behalf of New Yorkers in all five boroughs, in every neighborhood," O'Neill said. "We should all be grateful for the outcome today, particularly as we come off yesterday’s one-year anniversary of the murder of Detective Miosotis Familia in the Bronx."

Police in tactical gear, bomb-sniffing dogs and dozens of police vehicles responded to the scene.

"Cop cars, there was a whole lot of them, too many," one witness said. 

Police cordoned off the Kingston-Throop subway station on the C line and diverted all traffic and pedestrians around the crime scene.