Michael Cohen

Yana Paskova/Getty Images

Records Show FBI Was Probing Michael Cohen Long Before Raid

March 19, 2019 - 3:25 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880/AP) -- Newly released documents show the FBI was investigating President Donald Trump's former personal attorney and fixer for nearly a year before agents raided his home and office.


 
A search warrant released Tuesday shows the federal inquiry into Michael Cohen had been going on since July 2017 -- far longer than had previously been known.
 
It wasn't until April 2018 that the FBI raided Cohen's Manhattan home and office, seizing more than 4 million electronic and paper files.

The documents shed some light on how much Cohen may have made in consulting feeds after President Trump moved into the White House.

Over a two-year period, Cohen's consulting LLC received about $3 million in transfers and checks. Much of that money came from foreign companies. Approximately $600,000 came from AT&T -- an amount previously revealed in other reporting.

One tantalizing element is the amount of material that's been blacked out. A judge ordered the warrant released with redactions after media organizations including The Associated Press requested it be made public.

"The only reason that the prosecutors could justify to the judge redacting that information is that it would disclose an ongoing investigation," said Jennifer Rodgers, a former federal prosecutor who teaches at Columbia University.

Rodgers is convinced some of the redacted material implicates President Trump in part because of testimony Cohen has since provided about hush money payments.

"It seems pretty clear to me that they have developed evidence sufficient to charge the president with this crime," said Rodgers.

Cohen pleaded guilty to tax evasion and making hush-money payments to two women who alleged they had extramarital affairs with Trump.

He is expected to begin serving a three-year prison sentence in May.

(© 2019 WCBS 880. The Associated Press contributed to this report)