Rockland County Executive Ed Day

Mike Sugerman/WCBS 880

2nd State Of Emergency Issued In Rockland Amid Measles Crisis

April 25, 2019 - 5:45 pm
Categories: 

NEW CITY, N.Y. (WCBS 880) — Rockland County on Thursday issued a new emergency order to prevent the spread of measles.

County Executive Ed Day’s second declaration of a local state of emergency will renew the original declaration that ended after a group of parents challenged the order in court.

He believes the way that the new order is worded will help it defeat any legal challenge.

RELATED: De Blasio Declares Health Emergency, Orders Measles Vaccinations In Williamsburg

“Over the last 30 days since my original declaration we have lost the one thing we couldn’t afford to lose, valuable time. With nearly 50 new confirmed cases in less than a month what we predicted has come true; this outbreak continues to rage despite the best efforts of our Department of Health,” Day said in a statement.

According to WCBS 880’s Mike Sugerman, almost one in three cases of measles in the entire Unites States occurs in the area.

The first order said anyone under the age of 18 who was unvaccinated could not go out into public. The new order now states that any person sickened or exposed to the disease must stay home.

RELATED: New Measles Cases In NY Bring National Tally To 25-Year High

“I pledge that we will continue to do everything within our power to combat this deadly disease and bring it to a stop once and for all,” Day said.

There have been over 300 cases of measles in Rockland County since October 2018. The majority of cases have centered primarily in three Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish communities.

Under the new order, five people so far have been directed to stay home.