NY Senator, Nonprofit Start Food Drive Amid Trump Cuts To Food Stamps

Kristie Keleshian
December 08, 2019 - 3:56 pm
SNAP benefits

Scott Heins/Getty Images

Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Nearly 700,000 people may not qualify for food stamps anymore after the Trump administration made changes to the program last week, so a state senator and a local organization are working together to start a food drive through the end of the year to help those in need.

Work requirements are changing under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), meaning hundreds of thousands across the nation would lose out on its benefits

“So we will be doing this food drive until the end of the year and possibly after that depending on what type of need we see in the community,” state Sen. David Carlucci said

Carlucci is partnering up with Nanuet nonprofit People to People in starting a food drive for those who have fallen between the cracks.

“I’m just very concerned that we are going to see more and more people turning to charity, turning to food banks. And I just want to make sure that I’m doing everything I can to provide food to those that are in need,” Carlucci said.

In Rockland County alone, Carlucci says 40,000 people are living below the poverty line.

Diane Serratore, the CEO of People to People says she’s concerned that her organization won’t have enough funding to replace SNAP benefits for those in the community who need them.

“The issue is we don’t always have access to the kind of funding that we need to make sure we can fill the gaps led by government services,” Serratore said

She’s urging the community to get involved as much as it can.

“We encourage people to do what they can to support nonprofits, because at the end of the day, we are all in this together,” Serratore said.