Report: Family Believes Brooklyn Boy Suffered Deadly Reaction To Smell Of Cooking Fish

January 02, 2019 - 10:28 am

NW YORK (WCBS 880) -- Authorities are looking into whether an 11-year-old Brooklyn boy had a deadly allergic reaction to the smell of cooking fish.

Camron Jean-Pierre was unconscious and unresponsive when EMS arrived at his home on East 82nd Street in Canarsie just before 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The child's family said they were cooking fish when the boy suffered a possible allergic reaction, according to the New York Daily News. The family reportedly hooked him up to a medical device but he passed out.

He was transported to Brookdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The city medical examiner is looking into the cause of death.

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, people with a fish allergy should stay out of areas where fish is being cooked because proteins may be released into the air during the process.