Trump Delays Planned ICE Raids In NYC, Other Cities

June 22, 2019 - 3:26 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) -- President Trump has delayed a plan to deport thousands of undocumented immigrants in New York and other cities at the request of Democrats.

The president tweeted Saturday that he was giving lawmakers two weeks to "get together and work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border."

He warned if they didn't come up with a solution: "Deportations start!"

Related: 'We Will Fight': New York Officials React To Expected ICE Raids

Three administration officials told The Associated Press the operation had been canceled because details had leaked in the media and officer safety could be jeopardized. The officials were not authorized to speak publicly on the operation and spoke on condition of anonymity.

President Trump announced the raids earlier this week in a tweet in which he said an operation was upcoming and that ICE would begin removing "millions" of people.

The operation was expected to begin Sunday and would have targeted people with final orders of removal, including families whose immigration cases had been fast-tracked by judges.

The raids – referred to as “family op” by ICE – had been set to take place in 10 U.S. cities, including San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles. Some 2,000 people were to be targeted for deportation.

Local leaders like Gov. Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio had vowed to fight back against the ICE raids and urged undocumented immigrants to know their rights.

Immigration officials said more than 100,000 undocumented migrants were apprehended or turned away at the U.S.-Mexico border in April alone. And the head of ICE said the raids aren’t about fear but the rule of law.