FDNY Ambulance (Getty)

iStock / Getty Images

2 Dozen Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning At Midtown Church

July 16, 2019 - 2:38 pm
Categories: 

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Two dozen people were taken to the hospital Tuesday to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

The FDNY says the 24 people were in the basement of a church in Midtown and breathed in the toxic fumes. Most of the injured are minor but three people suffered serious injuries.

Senior citizens use the St. Malachy’s Church on 49th Street, where the incident occurred, for Meals on Wheels and other activities.

“People were cautious but not speaking, they weren’t verbal, they’re weren’t physically able to hold themselves up and it was scary,” one woman inside the church told CBS2.

Most people were complaining of headaches and some said their felt nauseous.

The FDNY says the issue is now under control and the elevated carbon monoxide readings were caused by a faulty stove.