Opera

FILE- In this Aug. 28, 2019, file photo, opera star Placido Domingo performs during a concert in Szeged, Hungary. The Tokyo Olympics organizing committee has not decided what it plans to do about the appearance of Placido Domingo at a 2020 Games event and is looking into reports of sexual harassment by the opera star. (AP Photo/Laszlo Balogh, File)
August 30, 2019 - 10:24 am
TOKYO (AP) — The Tokyo Olympics organizing committee has not decided what it plans to do about the appearance of Placido Domingo at a 2020 Games event and is looking into allegations the opera star sexually harassed several women. The Associated Press reported earlier this month on extensive...
Read More
Spanish tenor Placido Domingo reacts during the rehearsal of the opening gala of the Gerard Of Sagredo Youth Forum and Sports Center in Szeged, Hungary, Tuesday, August 27, 2019, a day prior to the event. (Tibor Rosta/MTI via AP)
August 28, 2019 - 3:00 pm
SZEGED, Hungary (AP) — Opera legend Placido Domingo was set to appear Wednesday at a concert in southern Hungary to inaugurate a sports and youth complex for a local Catholic diocese, continuing his calendar of European engagements unabated despite allegations of sexual harassment. Domingo, whose...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 22, 2004, file photo, Placido Domingo sings during his performance at the National Theater in Santiago, Dominican Republic. Domingo is scheduled to appear onstage at the Salzburg Festival Aug. 25, 2019, to perform for the first time since multiple women have accused the opera legend of sexual harassment in allegations brought to light by The Associated Press. (AP Photo/Miguel Gomez, File)
Associated Press
August 24, 2019 - 12:34 pm
MILAN (AP) — Placido Domingo returns to the stage at the Salzburg Festival this weekend to perform for the first time since multiple women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment in allegations brought to light by The Associated Press. Two opera houses in the United States have canceled...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2014, file photo, Placido Domingo speaks at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. LA Opera has named former United States Attorney Debra Wong Yang on Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2019, to lead an ‘independent investigation’ into allegations of sexual harassment against Domingo. The investigation into Domingo’s behavior follows an Associated Press report detailing multiple accusations against the opera star. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
August 20, 2019 - 7:40 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it will immediately open a "thorough and independent investigation" into allegations of sexual harassment against the opera star Placido Domingo, the company's general director. In a brief statement Tuesday, the opera company said it has hired...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2014, file photo, Placido Domingo speaks at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the LA Opera said it will hire outside counsel to investigate allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior by the opera legend. Domingo has denied the accusations, but noted: "Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable." (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
August 17, 2019 - 12:16 am
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Los Angeles Opera has declined to release any details of its promised investigation into allegations of sexual harassment against opera legend Placido Domingo, the company's longtime general director, including whether it has already started. The union that represents opera...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 26, 2014, file photo, Placido Domingo speaks at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the LA Opera said it will hire outside counsel to investigate allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior by the opera legend. Domingo has denied the accusations, but noted: "Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable." (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
August 14, 2019 - 3:23 pm
MILAN (AP) — While two U.S. opera houses immediately canceled performances by famed tenor Placido Domingo following sexual harassment allegations, European opera houses are taking stances ranging from supportive to wait-and-see. The Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera immediately...
Read More
FILE - In this Nov. 5, 1994 file photo, Placido Domingo performs in the San Francisco Opera's production of "Herodiade" in San Francisco. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the San Francisco Opera said it is canceling an October concert featuring Domingo after the publication of an Associated Press story that quoted numerous women as saying they were sexually harassed or subjected to inappropriate behavior by the superstar. (AP Photo/Dwayne Newton)
August 14, 2019 - 1:26 am
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning...
Read More
FILE - In this Nov. 5, 1994 file photo, Placido Domingo performs in the San Francisco Opera's production of "Herodiade" in San Francisco. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019, the San Francisco Opera said it is canceling an October concert featuring Domingo after the publication of an Associated Press story that quoted numerous women as saying they were sexually harassed or subjected to inappropriate behavior by the superstar. (AP Photo/Dwayne Newton)
August 13, 2019 - 5:55 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two music companies canceled appearances by Placido Domingo and the Los Angeles Opera said Tuesday it would launch an investigation in response to an Associated Press story in which numerous women accused the opera legend of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior spanning...
Read More
August 13, 2019 - 2:56 pm
The Latest on sexual harassment accusations against opera legend Placido Domingo (all times EDT): 2 p.m. The Los Angeles Opera has issued a statement saying it will investigate allegations against Placido Domingo contained in an Associated Press story in which numerous women accuse the opera legend...
Read More
FILE - In this June 4, 1995 file photo, Harold Prince holds his Tony award for best director in a musical for "Show Boat," at Broadway's Minskoff Theater in New York. Prince, who pushed the boundaries of musical theater with such groundbreaking shows as “The Phantom of the Oepra,” "Cabaret," "Company" and "Sweeney Todd" and won a staggering 21 Tony Awards, died Wednesday, July 31, 2019, after a brief illness in Reykjavik, Iceland. He was 91. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)
July 31, 2019 - 4:40 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Harold Prince, a Broadway director and producer who pushed the boundaries of musical theater with such groundbreaking shows as "The Phantom of the Opera," ''Cabaret," ''Company" and "Sweeney Todd" and won a staggering 21 Tony Awards, has died. Prince was 91. Prince's publicist Rick...
Read More

Pages